Hit Me One More Time

My apologies for the absence. The Wednesday before Thanksgiving was my husband's 40th birthday. We were in the car (including our 4 year old son) driving to his birthday dinner when all of a sudden we were hit from behind. We were stopped at a stop sign behind another car and were hit with such force that we bounced between the two cars several times.

Thankfully Eli was unharmed. His car seat kept him safe and sound and he had no injuries. My husband and I didn't fare quite as well. I had several bruises and neck and back injuries, as did my husband.

After we were hit I leapt out of the car, losing my shoe in the process to get to my son. I asked him if he was ok but he wouldn't speak. I got him out of his car seat and then collapsed with him in my arms on the side of the road in complete hysterics. He was fine, just scared. The police came quickly and were able to give me oxygen (I think I had a stress-induced asthma attack). The EMT's arrived and my husband was taken away in the ambulance and I was treated in another ambulance and released, which yet another team of EMT's and policeman thoroughly checked out my son. I still tear up at the thought.

I have to say though that while I was in the ambulance getting treated a policeman updated me literally every few minutes on where my son was, what tests he was given, anything he was saying. Literally that man went back and forth making sure I knew everything that was going on with my son. I can't thank that man enough for the peace of mind he gave me in that moment.

More than a week has passed. We are on the mend both physically and mentally. Standing or walking for lengths of time is still difficult and my endurance is super low, but we will get there. I am still heartbroken that my husband's birthday was ruined. That our Thanksgiving was ruined and that our post-Thanksgiving weekend of decorating tradition had to be postponed. I'm struggling with the holiday spirit even though I know I should be thankful that we weren't more seriously injured (and I am) but I still mourn the loss.


This was caused by a young woman distracted by her radio. The cars around you have someone's child or their grandmother or their father in them. Slow down and don't drive distracted this holiday season.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome!

It Takes a Village

Self Care -Masks