It Takes a Village

The outpouring of help and support and prayers we received post-accident has been incredible. From dear friends who came to pick up Eli at the scene of the accident and keep him safe, to neighbors bringing food, to other moms who offered to drive Eli to school when I couldn't...the list goes on and on. I truly could not have gotten through the first 10 days post-accident without a village.

It was honestly a village I didn't know I had. We have only lived in our town a few years. I'm not one to make friends easily. I have an anxiety disorder and struggle with putting myself out there and making small talk. Its hard for me to ask for help and I feel awkward accepting it. Unfortunately not being able to walk easily and being unable to drive for a week put me in a position where help was a necessity. When offers to help poured in I couldn't always say "no thank you, we are fine". Sometimes I had to say yes and take them up on their offers. 

I'm shocked I'm saying this, as someone who has been fiercely independent my entire life, but it felt good to get help. It felt good to let someone else "have it covered" while I focused on healing. I expressed my gratitude to a neighbor who had been particularly helpful and she simply said that she had been in a very similar situation once and thought nothing of paying it forward.

Paying it forward is something I will certainly do and teach Eli to also do. Not just in this holiday season, but all throughout the year. Part of having a village is also participating in the village. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome!

Self Care -Masks